1. The Supplementary Fund Protocol, which was adopted in 2003, entered into force in 2005, thereby establishing the International Oil Pollution Compensation Supplementary Fund, 2003 (Supplementary Fund).
2. The Supplementary Fund provides additional compensation beyond the amount available under the 1992 Fund Convention in 1992 Fund Member States which are also Parties to the Protocol.
3. The total amount available for compensation for each incident is 750 million SDR, including the amounts payable under the 1992 Conventions.
4. Annual contributions to the Supplementary Fund are made on the same basis as contributions to the 1992 Fund.
5. However, the contribution system for the Supplementary Fund differs from that of the 1992 Fund in that, for the purpose of paying contributions, at least 1 million tonnes of contributing oil are deemed to have been received each year in each Member State.