Emergency wreck marking buoy
• IALA has introduced on trial basis.
• For temporary response.
• Typically to be used for first 24‐72 hrs.
• Deployment to be promulgated through usual maritime safety information system.
• Designed to provide a prominent aid to navigation.
• To be placed as close of wreck as possible.
It will maintain a position until:
• The wreck is well known and has been promulgated in nautical publications eg notices to mariners.
• The wreck is fully surveyed and exact details such as position and least depth above the wreck is known.
• A permanent form of marking of the wreck has been carried out.
Shape: Pillar or spar buoy, size dependent on location.
Color: Equal number and dimensions of blue and yellow vertical stripes.
• Altering blue and yellow flashing light.
• Nominal range: 4 nm, may be altered depending on local condition.
• Blue and yellow 1s flashes altered at interval of 0.5s.
• If multiple buoys deployed, their lights will be synchronized.
May be fitted with Racon‐D and/or AIS transponder.
If fitted, straight yellow cross.